Thursday, January 10, 2008

learning to blend

well, I've been messing around with bender, trying to familiarize myself with the alien interface, and I think I'm getting the hang of it. obviously I'm not going to be as fast as someone who has been working in it for a while, but I think I've picked it up fairly quickly. it makes me happy actually.

I also found out that the UVSC library has some of the gnomon DVD's available for 3-day loans. I'm getting them today if everything goes smoothly and I'm hoping to learn some tricks of the trade before I start modelling the doctor's head in 3D.

another exciting thing is that UVU is taking a trip down to dreamworks in february, it's in the middle of the semester, and for a whole week, but I think it would be entirely worth it. I'm a little worried, they want us to put together a portfolio, but being a freshman I don't really have anything truly impressive to put into a portfolio, except what I did last year. I mean, I have a few sculptures I could use, but not much else. we'll just see how it goes, and if I can be one of the seventeen allowed on the trip.

I've also been taking a 2D animation class, and only now that I'm doing some of the stuff do I realize just how essential it is to 3D animation, it's difficult to describe why it's so important though, you just have to experience it for yourself really. Rodayne is a great teacher, and I look forward to working my pencils down to nubs.

all in all, I am excited for everything, from learning to blend, to my 2D animation class, and the prospects of visiting a major studio. I'm very excited.

No comments: